Zirconia is actually a type of porcelain that contains at least 90% zirconium dioxide. In laboratory testing, zirconia ceramic demonstrates a high resistance to fractures and wear. Zirconia crowns can withstand a high level of strain and force and are extremely hard. Zirconia also resists stains and discoloration, an important feature for something that will face a constant barrage of staining foods and drinks.
What Advantages do Zirconia Crowns Offer?
- The exceptional hardness and strength of zirconia makes it a perfect restoration material for back teeth because it can withstand the bite force exerted by the molars.
- The lifelike translucence of zirconia crowns allows them to blend in seamlessly with your natural teeth.
- Zirconia’s durability means they will likely last a lifetime.
- Like traditional dental porcelain crowns, zirconia crowns are metal-free and biocompatible, and will not trigger sensitivity or allergies.
- Due to the strength and density of zirconia, your tooth requires less preparation. Because you retain more of your own tooth structure, zirconia crowns offer a more conservative option.
- Using his state-of-the-art CEREC same day crown technology, Dr. Greenfield can design, manufacture, and place a zirconia crown in a single visit.
Do Zirconia Crowns Have Any Drawbacks?
If you do not take proper care of your teeth by following a consistent dental hygiene regimen at home and visiting your family dentist for regular checkups and cleanings, you can still develop tooth decay beneath the crown. This will require more invasive treatment so the Lake Orion Family Dentistry team encourages you to take the best care of all your teeth. Also, the strength and hardness that makes zirconia an outstanding restorative material can also make it less than ideal for patients with soft enamel. In some cases, zirconia crowns can have an abrasive effect on the opposing teeth. Talking to Dr. Greenfield about your options will ensure that you receive the right restoration for your needs.
Visit Your Lake Orion Family Dentist
To schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Brad Greenfield, contact Lake Orion Family Dentistry at (248) 693-6213. It’s time you experienced dental care close to home, but far from ordinary!